3 hour self-drive from Johannesburg
Privat charter flights from OR Tambo International Airport or Lanseria Airport to the reserve landing strip
The lodge has two helicopter landing pads
8 x Luxury Suites
ABOUT CLIFFTOP SAFARI HIDEAWAY
Perched regally amidst the bushwillows on the tip of a magnificent gorge overlooking the Sterkstroom River, Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway is just that; a romantic, secluded hideaway from the world’s worries, an intimate encounter with the beauty of the ruggedly scenic Welgevonden Game Reserve. Sip a soothing G&T as you relax in your very own plunge pool overlooking the gorge, or disappear into the depths of a comfortable wicker chair to watch the glorious scenery and varied wildlife. Clifftop is a serene sanctuary amidst spectacular scenery; a wildlife retreat of extraordinary beauty and home to a myriad of animal and bird species that call the rocky ravines and rolling wooded mountains of this stunning private reserve home. Your precious privacy is interrupted only by the sound of the bushveld from your elevated suite deck and the sound of the roaring river a hundred metres below. Relax on your private deck enjoying the cool breeze or sip a full-bodied red wine in front of one of the lodge’s cosy fires.
ABOUT THE ACCOMMODATION
Accommodation comprises 8 stunning air-conditioned suites decorated in Clifftop’s signature silver, grey and white tones, with natural fixtures and materials incorporated throughout including large pebble and tree trunk tables and towel racks made of distressed branches.
All suites can be converted into either Double or Twin rooms, depending on guests’ requirements
ABOUT WELGEVONDEN GAME RESERVE
The Welgevonden Game Reserve, located just three hours’ north of Johannesburg in the Limpopo Province’s Waterberg plateau, is one of the most ruggedly scenic reserves in South Africa, characterised by rolling hills, rugged gorges and grassy plains.
Aptly meaning ‘well found’, the Welgevonden is unlike anywhere else on earth, a true wilderness area with excellent game viewing and stunning scenery. Enjoy this mountain bushveld environment with roaring rivers and sweeping horizon views. The reserve is located at high altitude, enjoys a mild climate and is Malaria free making it worth a visit any time of the year.
As a result of the reserve’s diverse landscapes, visitors can enjoy Big Five sightings, in addition to encounters with over 50 mammal species, 250 bird species and some of the bush’s most beautiful wild flowers that make their appearance in early spring.
The Welgevonden also boasts one of Africa’s largest populations of white rhino on a private reserve, with such unusual species as brown hyena, aardwolf and aardvark also located within the reserve. The reserve has never been a hunting area and as such game viewing is up and close and personal. In addition to great game viewing, there is also ancient San Rock Art.
This is Africa at its most interesting and at its best.
• Infinity edge swimming pool with sweeping views
• Outdoor dining deck
• Indoor restaurant
• Magnificent lounge with fireplace
• Dramatic views over the edge of ancient cliff
• Vista deck, complete with hanging chairs and outdoor fireplace
• Game viewing from the privacy of your private deck
• Wine Cellar boasting the finest South African wines
• 36 000-hectare Private Game Reserve adjoining the Marakele National Park
• Savannah Horse Trails nearby. Only experienced riders, price on request and subject to availability. Please make your own transport arrangements as this service is not offered at the lodge.
• Tea and coffee making facilities
• A fully stocked mini bar
• Large bathroom with a bath
• Indoor and outdoor shower
• A full range of bathroom amenities
• Bird watching
• 4×4 open vehicle safaris with experienced field guides
• Massage treatments in the privacy of your suite
• Savannah Horse Trails nearby. Only experienced riders