Chitabe is only 57 nautical from Maun - yet it feels as though it is a million miles away. The only access into the reserve is by air into Chitabe airstrip. From here it is about a 20 minute drive into camp. In times of high flooding within the Okavango, we may have to transfer the last few hundred meters by mokoro or boat
8 East African style, luxury tents
ABOUT THE LODGE
The Okavango Delta in Botswana has to be one of the most beautiful and wildlife-diverse places in Africa. The classic Chitabe Camp is located in the south-eastern part of the Okavango Delta and is one of the premier game-viewing destinations in the area. The Delta is a glorious mix of wooded islands, lagoons, floodplains, marshlands and forest, and it’s this myriad of different environments that creates its incredible and diverse wildlife and flora. Chitabe Camp borders the Moremi Game Reserve and presents the perfect combination of the elements of a traditional safari with supreme luxury.
Eight spacious, Meru-style safari tents are elevated far above the ground by wooden decks that have been built into the treetops. Their height affords them spectacular views of the wilderness and the best way to truly take in the natural beauty that the Okavango Delta exudes. Each tent boasts en-suite bathrooms as well as both indoor and outdoor showers. The outside showers are private and provide the perfect opportunity to become one with the beautiful environment. Guests can enjoy exhilarating game drives during visits to Chitabe Camp, as well as leopard tracking and authentic, elaborate dinners held in the bush. If it’s an exclusive bush retreat you’re after, complete with superb game-viewing, superior service and unapologetic luxury, then you’ve found it when you choose to stay at Chitabe Camp - it’s a true gem in the heart of Botswana.
Suggested Summer/Winter Daily Itinerary
- Wake up call. Light continental breakfast consisting of cereals, tea/coffee/juices and pastries to be served in the dining area.
- Depart on morning activity, returning to camp at approximately 10h00.
- Brunch will be served, this will consist of a selection of breakfast and lunch dishes. From now until afternoon tea, guests will be at leisure. Catching up on reading in our library, relaxing by the pool, talks, short nature and bird walks are all options.
- Afternoon tea will be served - this will consist of a selection of sweet and savoury snacks.
- Depart on afternoon game viewing activity - drinks and snacks will be served for sundowners during the course of the activity.
- Return to camp (but could be later if good game sightings).
- Pre-dinner drinks and snacks are served in the lounge.
- Three course dinner - generally speaking the starter and desert is served, whilst the main course is buffet style.
- Coffee and liqueurs will be served at the campfire.
ABOUT THE RESERVE
The reserve: NG 31 – Chitabe Concession
The Chitabe Concession is 28,000 hectares of pristine Okavango wilderness. It borders the well known Moremi Game Reserve and is nestled between two main river systems, the Gomoti to east and the Santantadibe to the west. What makes Chitabe unique to some of the other areas in the Okavango Delta is that it contains such a variety of habitats within close proximity. A finger of perennial swamps extends into the Chitabe reserve, which is inundated by water throughout the year. The area is also dominated by seasonally flooded areas which transform 56% of the concession from dry floodplains into a lush oasis, when the annual flood waters meander through. This variety of habitat, which ranges from the classic Okavango scenery with Illala Palms dotting the landscape, to open savannahs and acacia woodlands, gives rise to a surprising diversity of species, which allows Chitabe to offer guests a wide variety of game viewing and birding experiences.
Chitabe is well known for its predator concentrations of cheetah, lion, leopard and wild dog and because we can offer night-drives, seeing the elusive nocturnal animals such as aardvark and pangolin is a treat.
The Chitabe camps can offer guests not only a wonderful game viewing experience in well-equipped game drive vehicles, but we encourage walking as well. Our guides are all trained and accredited to take walks and our guests can put their feet on the ground and get a real feel for Africa. Chitabe also has two elevated hides located in the reserve, where guests can experience a "sleep-out" under the stars in full comfort and safety.
Slide projector available
Dinners under the stars (traditional Kgotla style) - weather permitting
Private vehicle on request